Utakata Hanabi

Utakata Hanabi
Sasuke x Sakura

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

House Captaincy

Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it. - Dwight D. Eisenhower


There are a lot of stuff I wanted to post about including the 4E class reunion I had three weeks back(Yes, I know it's old news but the previous post gave me a massive delay), and certain stuff that I feel that I should actually post on here. Though I have the intention, I simply can't find the time and mood to sit down on my computer and start typing a blog post. Not that I'm a very moody guy, but I gotta actually have the 'mood' to write a blog post, when I'm truly capable of expressing my thoughts. Anyways, JC life is hectic and it's gonna get at least ten times worse when we dive into the next section of Project Work, which is probably gonna make life more difficult. Not that I'm saying that I regretted going to JC but it's just that, I have to manage my time better than ever in order to keep up with the speedy pace of JC life.

Anyways, I mentioned before that I'm pretty interested to join the House-Exco after the spectacular orientation camp we had, and especially after kicking the other Houses' backside(No offence, seriously. Part of the beneficial and healthy competitiveness amongst the 4 Houses) in the Campfire performance we put up. I wasn't selected to be one of the ten potential leaders who would become House-Exco members(I'm probably the eleventh guy T.T), so I had to wait for the current House-Exco to call for willing applicants who desires to join the House-Exco. Finally, last Friday they asked us to submit our names and class in our House Master if we are interested. I did exactly that on that very day.

We were informed that the interview to select the candidates for the House-Exco will be held soon but we did not know exactly when. Today morning, when I was in my Economics tutorial lesson, my mobile vibrated and I took a look at the message received. Yup, it is easy to guess what happened, right? The interview was to be held today. I'm like "Seriously? This sure is a last minute call."

Subsequently I went to collect the application form, which was to be handed in during the interview at 5pm, and have to fill it up. Yes, my name, my class, my House and... What position(s) I am vying for. For your info, there's the Captain, two Vice-Captains, Secretary, Logistics Head, Cheers Head, Welfare Head, and two Treasurers within the list of House-Exco roles. I'm not gonna be the Welfare Head anymore(I've been the welfare head in Sec 3 and 4...), so I suppose I'm gonna choose another position. A position that I had expressed interest in. So for the blank, I wrote down just one word. If you actually spot the title of this post, you'll know which position I've chosen. Besides that, I've also written down Vice-Captain and Welfare Head(I guess "habits die hard'...).

So the interview started and finally it's my turn to enter the rifle range for the interview. To sidetrack a little, my House Master is the Teacher-In-Charge for the Shooting CCA,and hence placed one corner of the rifle range to be the interview zone. By the way, there's still training going on, and candidates were supposed to be interviewed by the entire House-Exco members plus the House Master himself, when the people were shooting air rifles and the place just kept going 'pop' and 'pop', distracting me in my answers to the questions raised by the House-Exco.

The very first question was from the House Master(besides the question which they confirmed my name) was "Out of the few positions you have chosen, which position is your first priority?" I answered "Captain", while grinning at the current House Captain which he returned the favour by smiling back and giving me a thumbs-up.

It wasn't actually a bombardment of questions upon me from the House-Exco, since they only asked a few questions to determine my worth and ability to be able to serve the House as a Captain. Another significant question from the House Master would be whether I am comfortable with my studies currently as he explained to me that a prerequisite for membership of the House-Exco is to be able to balance ourselves between our academics, our CCA, and our House stuff, there were incidents in the past where House-Exco members get ousted out because of failure to do well in academics and it could be considered embarrassing to some. I don't know why but I gave the confident look and answered "VERY comfortable". I was trying to liven the mood by making a small joke but it seemed as though they believed what I said...

Another question that was asked by the Logistics Head was that there will be unpleasant people whom I might not want to work with and sometimes even to the extent of hating these people within the House-Exco, and how will I deal with this matter. A pretty popular question, no doubt. However, it was the final question, also asked by the House Master, that left me intrigued. "What if we decide to place you in the Sub-Committee?" I did not ponder much about the question since I've already have the answer at the back of my mind. "I don't mind."

I left afterwards, thinking about what that question really meant. Are they really gonna put me in the Sub-Committee? Am I not suitable to become the House Captain or part of the House-Exco? Or are they just trying to find out my 'love' and 'commitment' to the House? Will I really accept just being in the Sub-Committee? 

The interview with the other candidates(the potential leaders who already got selected) will occur tomorrow afternoon if I'm not wrong, so they will make the decision soon enough. Soon there will be a verdict and let's see if the underdog will 'win' this time round.

No comments:

Post a Comment