Utakata Hanabi

Utakata Hanabi
Sasuke x Sakura

Monday, April 11, 2011

Rebuke

A popular man arouses the jealousy of the powerful. - Thufir Hawat

Before I start saying anything, I just wanna apologise on the fact that it's almost been a full week since I posted anything. To those of you who still visit this blog, I really thank you guys for being so patient with me. A sincere thank-you is truly deserved. Alright, let's get down on business. There's this guy in our class. He is naturally considered the clown of our class. Well, he's only second to his other joker pair, who's truly the most recognised clown in our class. So there's two clowns who always 'cooperate' with each other while trying to create laughter and joy in and out of the classroom. Well, that's not the main point. See, the guy I'm talking about is not just a clown. He's rather smart too. He does very well especially for his Maths, which he is very often praised by our Math teacher (our most 'despised' teacher if you had read my previous posts). As for other subjects, he stills do quite well for all except his Mother Tongue Language which is Chinese. Read the quote at the start of this post. You can easily predict what I'm gonna say. There's a certain Maths lesson that when our Math Teacher asked the class whether we are confident that we could score full marks or very close to full marks for an assignment, and those who are confident can stand up. I looked around, wondering whether the either of the 'Big Three' would stand. The 'Big Three' is the top three students in my class academically by the way. As suspected, they did not. Then I hear the dragging sound of a chair, indicating the standing motion of someone. Then I already knew who. It was that guy. I've said to myself "He's the clown. He's just wants attention and recognition of him being one of the best in Maths." But apparently, not everyone thinks that way. Then on the very same day, He and I plus a few classmates were at the canteen after English remedial. One of my classmates asked another classmate what's her CCA (co-curricular activity). She answered Basketball and Netball. Let's name the classmate who answered Y and the guy X. Then Y explained that her original CCA was only Basketball but joined Netball later as she wanted to help her other friends who are in Netball.
X commented "If you don't have enough CCA points, then just admit the fact that you joined Netball to get more CCA points."
Y: "I have from Basketball 20+ points (I can't remember but 20 points is sufficient)."
X: "What's the big deal? I have 32." Then there were tension in that particular area where I happened to do my work in.
One of the other classmates asked them not to quarrel.
X: "A quarrel? A quarrel only happens when two people are on equal terms(that means on the same level). In this case, I have higher ground."
Y: "Higher ground? In terms of what?"
X: "Well? Intellectually."
Y: "What's your rank in class last year then?"
X: "8th?"
Y: "Ha! I'm 7th!"
This is the almost complete conversation between them.
Y was really fed up by X's attitude and blind arrogance after this incident, and desired to really shut his mouth by totally crushing him in results.
I asked Y, "Does crushing him in results really satisfy you?"
She answered, "Not in that sense. But he had really offended me, and he thinks so highly of himself even though there are people like me who totally beat him in terms of results and intelligence. Did you see what he did during Maths class? He really thinks that he's going to be the best in our class!"
At that moment I wondered whether who's in the wrong. For a second. Then I realised that both are in the wrong. And both would be forgiven. By me, at least. Yes, many classmates dislike that behaviour and attitude. I was one of them. But I also have realised that sometimes he's not bad. That's why I would not blame him, although at times I admit I would be mad at him. And Y? She wanted to teach him a lesson by proving that she is superior intellectually. That was on the heat of the moment, that I would forgive too. But she seems serious about it.
Sometimes I wonder, does results really show a person's true intelligience? For all I know, there could be people out there who may be lazy and stuff in which they do badly or just adequately in tests and examinations, but in truth they have more wits, cunning, smarter and wiser than any other students. And I truly pity them as this society emphasises on results, proven skills or specialty.

No comments:

Post a Comment