Utakata Hanabi

Utakata Hanabi
Sasuke x Sakura

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Championship

"We thought the Premier League had gone. Thank God it all worked out for us. We got two goals in five minutes. It was absolutely unbelievable." - Sergio Kun Aguero

I guess this post is pretty obvious huh? 13 May 2012: Manchester City became the Barclays Premier League champions. It is a historical moment, both for Manchester City and the Premier League itself. Truly, a memory to savour. If you're a football fan(or 'soccer'), you would probably have known how great a magnitude was the final match of the BPL season this year for Manchester City. Their arch-rivals and the only championship contender left standing: Manchester United, shares the same points as them, lagging behind only due to goal difference. In order for City to clinch that title which had evaded them for 44 years, they have to at least match the results of the Manchester United match against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light, and pray that United does not score many goals to cancel out the goal difference.


I was watching the match with my dad, and had expected that City will be up against a tough side on that night, facing a relegation-threatened QPR. After the first couple of minutes watching that match, and just looking at how QPR is defending with all 11 men(inclusive of the Goal-Keeper), I knew it won't be easy for City to score. Though dominating a huge portion of ball possession, City didn't score until Zabaleta took an shot and the ball went across the line, though QPR keeper deflected it, with a stroke of luck. Prior to that, the City fans at Etihad Stadium and across the world were very nervous, as United scored with Rooney's header.


After a Barton's ejection from the match, likely to face a long match ban for elbowing City striker Tevez and kneeing another City forward Aguero after being shown the red card, QPR took advantage of City's defence "accidents", scoring two goals and claiming the lead 2-1 against City. This is where the crazy part starts. United lead Sunderland 1-0 all the way till the whistle was blew, and during this period of time, City was trying to regain the lead from QPR. Despite numerous attempts at scoring, they have been denied again and again by the QPR defenders and keeper Paddy Kenny. But, the equaliser came at the additional time, with Dzeko hitting a header from a corner cross from David Silva. With just a few more minutes to play, the struggle between United and City for the title only escalated. 


On the virtual table, United was on top of the table after securing a victory over Sunderland while City fought for a draw. The City fans at Etihad Stadium was virtually on the edge of collapse. As it looks clear that United will win their 20th title, something extraordinary happened. A hero rose to the occasion. Substitute Mario Balotelli forced the ball to Sergio Aguero's feet and the Argentinian striker rammed the ball home, creating a miraculous comeback for City and their title dreams. Anyone could imagine how the United players and fans felt after that crazy strike. That happened in the 93rd minute plus 20 seconds. The City fans went into frenzy after witnessing the goal that brought the their Premier League trophy. That was absolutely stunning.


I officially joined the camp of the blue side of Manchester after witnessing Aguero's prowess in the early matches of the season, believing that they have a legitimate shot at the title this season. If you're saying that I'm a bandwagon fan, well I don't support United, Liverpool or Chelsea. I had supported Arsenal, during the 'Invincibles' era with Thierry Henry spearheading their campaign for trophies. After that I became rather mild in supporting either teams in the BPL. Throughout all the years in my life(I'm not old, I'm only 17), I didn't get the chance to witness the team I support win a championship. Not in Premier League football, not in NBA. The closest I got was the Celtics vs Lakers Finals Game 7, which I wrote about just previously. Really, I didn't have the chance to celebrate my team clinching a championship. That happened to a huge bunch of my friends, which several supports United and they've been winning the title year after year, a few supported NBA teams like Lakers and Spurs which also won NBA championships in the past decade. They have the opportunity to run about, cheering their teams dominant victories and obtain the bragging rights again and again(a lot of people abuse it though), but not me.


I finally have the chance in being part of a championship-caliber team as a supportive fan, but City's performances ain't the most consistent. They had a eight point lead over 2nd-placed United at the mid point of the season, after making their presence felt at Old Trafford by thrashing United 1-6. But several mistakes and slips here and there cost them their lead on the league table and United suddenly stood on top of the table once again, a position so familiar to them. I remember how I was cursing when City dropped crucial points when they lost or draw teams that they are able to win. I felt an all too familiar pain of loss when City lost the lead and perhaps lost their title hopes. However, United's mistakes against Everton and Wigan, after that another loss to City, costed them the lead towards the end of the season. City took over based on goal difference and a decisive win over QPR would most likely land City the title, but it was a hard-fought battle. A battle to the death. On the verge of choking and throwing their title away, City eventually prevailed with an unexpected and dramatic turn of events. Aguero took off his jersey and ran around the stadium for his goal celebration. Guess what? I did the exact same thing!


That was the most exciting match ever for me. It was like the climax of the movie and how the "good guys" always win in the end even when the odds were highly against them. The goals from Dzeko and especially Aguero was unbelievable. And to witness the team I support, to hold the trophy up high, was a special moment for me. I feel like I'm a part of Manchester City now, though I can't score goals, though I can't dribble the ball well, though I don't play football that well. That feeling was simply amazing.


This is truly the best season ever in BPL history, with incredible highs and lows faced in the various teams in the league. The intense rivalry for the title between the 'noisy neighbours' in the two sides of Manchester, the spiralling to the top three of the table through Captain Van Persie's remarkable season by Arsenal, the rise of teams such as Newcastle and Tottenham, the shocking number of goals scored in matches(8-2, 1-5, 1-6, 3-5, 4-4 and etc), the battle for relegations and cases of misconduct. The craziest and most exciting season ever, which the winner was undetermined till the very last minute of the last match of the season.


These few days I've been watching the same footages over and over again, replaying Aguero's "championship-winner" goal repeatedly, and my mad reaction at the goal happened again and again. Listening to the thunderous cheer at the Etihad Stadium definitely made my day. I guess this marks a turning point in my life, a point where I am inspired to reach the top again, like what City did after a long and painful wait. Thank you for the match. Thank you for the season. Thank you for the competition. Thank you, City and United. An unmatched rivalry for the craziest and undoubtedly the best season ever.


P.S by the way, the reign of the Sky Blues has only just begun...


"I never stopped believing, never ever." Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany

No comments:

Post a Comment