Utakata Hanabi

Utakata Hanabi
Sasuke x Sakura

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Farewell, My Idol

"Forever, I’ll always be a Celtic, no matter what." - Ray Allen


I always get the feeling that I've neglected this blog and always wanted to post something like at least once a week. But JC life have caught up with me and I'm having trouble with my EoM and other stuff. Either that or I'm just too lazy or can't think of anything to write about. Oh well, this topic just have to come along and make me log into this blog again and write something. 


If you ask me, honestly, I even don't know how I felt when this happened. I have mixed feelings even until now. C'mon, it's Ray Allen. The Three-Point King. My idol in basketball. Before you question me, NO. No, my idol in basketball isn't Lebron "The King" James. Nope, it's never Kobe Bryant. Not Kevin Durant either. Not Dwyane Wade, not Carmelo Anthony, not Chris Paul, not Derrick Rose, not Dwight Howard, not Jeremy Lin, not Russell Westbrook. Not even Kevin Garnett or Paul Pierce. Heck, Rondo is second. It's Ray Allen and his silky jumpshot from beyond the 3-point line. The one I looked up to, the one I aspire to be like. His dedication, his effort, his professional attitude, his contributions and his HEART. And there he is now, no longer part of the Boston Celtics, no longer part of the FAMILY. Okay, that's still fine by me, but where did he land? It just have to be the Reigning NBA champion, the Miami Heat. The Celtics arch-rival. The team that knocked the Celtics out twice during past two playoffs. Needless to say, I'm bitter about this.


I always wanted to get a Ray Allen jersey/tee. In Green and White. But I can't seem to find one here in Singapore. So I was waiting to get one soon, possibly through online shopping or something. Here's the key, I WAS waiting. I mean, he's going to the Miami Heat and you obviously can't expect me to purchase his Heat jersey. So my hopes of wearing the jersey/tee is crushed. And his jersey number is not going to be retired as a Boston Celtic. I will see Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett's jersey number hanged and properly retired (if nothing goes wrong and Danny Ainge doesn't try to trade either of them), but not Ray Allen's. And I always thought that the Big Three since their formation in 2007/08 will stick together till the very end. 


Although I sorta saw it coming but I was praying for Ray Allen to re-sign with the Celtics so that I can watch them play together as a team again. Celtics offered more money than the Heat but still he went over. What am I supposed to feel then? I mean if he's going anywhere, at least have a reason. Unless he says that his main reason for joining the Miami Heat is to chase after another championship ring(which he already has one), I have no choice but to simply label him as someone who does not like the Boston Celtics organisation. I mean he has done a lot of things for the Celtics organisation. He contributed a lot to Banner 17, and in every game the Celtics played. He even played through the bone spurs in his ankle during the playoffs when the Celtics lacked a starting SG when Avery Bradley got seriously injured. Also, It is true that Danny Ainge tried to trade Allen. It is true that his role as a Celtic has diminished over the years. It is true that we sometimes take him for granted. It is true that we often saw him as the number three of the Big Three and number four of the evolved Big Four. I gotta to admit that if I was in his shoes, I won't feel any good, even if it's only business and he is really getting old. But it just pierces my heart when he decides to hang around with the other Big Three in Miami. 


It apparently caused a huge upheaval and commotion among the Celtics fans. There are people who labelled him a traitor, who now despise him for leaving and losing his Celtics pride. The comments stating that he is no longer Jesus Shuttlesworth but Judas Shuttlesworth. Though I find these kinda flaming comments absolutely annoying, lack insight and understanding, I do feel almost betrayed. All the hateful comments from Celtics hardcore fans and Miami fans(towards the Celtics fans) just can't seem to stop. The image of Ray Allen seemed to slowly fade while this thing goes on. Before the the deal got finalised, I even dreamt of Ray Allen's 'funeral'. That shows how much he meant to me and how much damage his move to Miami dealt to me. He 'died' in my dreams.


Whatever's done is done, I can't do anything. I'm not Danny Ainge, nor am I Ray Allen himself. So I can only hope that he will not tarnish my image of him any more and I wish him all the best in his future endeavours. Since I'm a Celtics fan, I'm still gonna cheer for the Celtics when the two rivals meet again next season and hopefully the playoffs. I'm not gonna hate him unless he hits a game-winning shot against the Celtics in a deciding playoffs match. 


I always shoot 3-pointers(though not during a match) when I'm playing basketball, and will always try to score one as a sort of a 'closure' before I leave a court which shows how much I really like 3-pointers. As a tribute to all he has done for the Celtics and the fans within this really fun 5-year ride, I'm not gonna score any 3-pointers for a month from the day he officially signed with the Heat onwards. 


To Ray Allen: I hope you will never forget the days you spent together with the Celtics family and always remember your Celtic Pride wherever you go. Continue to be an inspiration. Continue to rain threes down your opponents(maybe besides the Celtics XD). Continue to play with hustle and heart. Continue to be Jesus Shuttlesworth. Continue to be Ray Allen. Thanks for everything. #IAmACeltic #BleedGreen #CelticsPride #20

No comments:

Post a Comment