Utakata Hanabi

Utakata Hanabi
Sasuke x Sakura

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Working Experience

"Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same." - Francesca Reigler


I completed my third day at work as a telemarketer, and my try-out day as a waiter in a cafe. Well, the work as a telemarketer is very mentally draining and stressful. After about 12 hours of mass calling, getting countless "not interested" answers, "busy" answers, and rude replies, I am sick and tired of calling any more strangers. The original target was to get 4 appointments each day (since I'm working 4 hours a day), but after 3 days of calling, I only managed to get only ONE appointment (4 x 3days = 12 appointments which is my target). It made me feel damn guilty. Also it's damn tiring to face rejection all the time. I almost developed a phobia of calling because of this work.


I tried to show a positive attitude in my work and cheer myself up, but it's not that easy. C'mon, if you can't stand working for just 3 days, how can you survive a month? Since I've gotten the waiter job, I might as well quit being a telemarketer and finally put an end to my misery, right? I rather get lower pay, longer working hours but have a nice environment with nice people to work with and able to enjoy myself while working, than to work with higher pay, less working hours, but feeling damn stressed, guilty, getting rejected all the time, mentally draining and bored? (I realise I used a lot of commas here. Poor English T.T)


Speaking of the waiter job, I had my trial together with my friend yesterday night. It was fun, entertaining, simple, and have such nice people to work with. My other primary school friend who has been working there for 2 months, he showed us the ropes yesterday, what we should do and how we should go about doing it. Our boss is also a very friendly and gentle person. Our colleagues - The kitchen chef auntie, the bartender who makes drinks, the other co-worker, they are all very friendly as well, and are willing to teach us. They made us feel at home, and I felt that we all had already met for a long time already. 


Besides carrying out my duties as a waiter, helping out at the counter, and cleaning up as well, there's one more thing about this cafe. It's a special cafe that has a very soothing ambience, and there's a band (not the 'rock' type of band) who perform song requests by customers. It's very entertaining to listen them performing, as well as listening to frequent jokes cracked by the performers which entertained the customers and us. Most of the songs sang are chinese pop songs, and listening to these songs reminded me why I first fell in love with chinese songs and why I'm so keen in learning the chinese language, and I am so proud of having chinese language as my mother tongue. The singers sang really well and it's so refreshing, I think that's why the cafe attracts customers. 


This cafe main customers are couples who came here seeking the lovely and romantic ambience here, having a drink and some snacks, while listening to their own song requests with their loved ones. Someday, I would like to invite my closest friends there and have a meal there, I'm sure it will be a very cool experience. Well, that's what I thought... Until I saw the prices on the menu.


P.S You see the highlighted words? You can also change them to my girlfriend (If I already have one by then :P) and romantic

No comments:

Post a Comment