Utakata Hanabi

Utakata Hanabi
Sasuke x Sakura

Monday, October 10, 2011

Rebut

It all depends upon where the observer is standing. - Leto


This post is probably gonna be one of my last posts (or just the last post) till the O-Levels finish. The O-Levels are only 2 weeks away. 14 days. I really need the time to focus on my revision and finally be able to score high or more than adequate for my weaker subjects as well as my stronger subjects. I will need to go through consultations with my teachers to build on my weak topics and so on. I really need to score As or high B grades in order to secure my place in the Junior College of my choice. I'm probably aiming for Anglo-Chinese Junior College for its Humanities Scholarship, but I'll need to meet a criteria for about 7/8 points. It's not gonna be anywhere near easy for me. So I'm gonna apologise if my blog is found rather dead during this period of time as I need the time which is quickly running out.
Back to the topic, me and my friend decided to meet on yesterday (it happened yesterday, but I am writing it today) to find clothes for our Graduation Night. Yes, formal clothes. I've already bought the shirt and the pants, only missing a blazer or a vest, while my friend wanted to buy everything besides pants which he already have at home. I asked my dad whether if I could join him on yesterday (I know this sounds weird), but he was unhappy about me running off with my friend to go out and "play"/"Have fun" when my family is supposed to visit my grandmother. My family has a routine of visiting my grandmother on alternate Sundays, in which yesterday was the Sunday we're supposed to go. I've gotta face my dad's unhappiness. I mean, why should I always join you to visit grandmother? I can spend my time doing something more productive, like perhaps looking for clothes, enjoying myself or revising for my exams. Definitely not going to my grandmother's house, take a look at my grandmother and my relatives and stone there for hours doing absolutely nothing. Counting the days I've been a baby, a toddler, a kid then a teenager, how many Sundays have I missed out because of this ridiculous routine? Of course, visiting my grandmother is being filial, and we should do it. But just taking a few Sundays out wouldn't hurt and I only did ask for a few times to let me off. 
Another thing is about the blazer I have found in the search of clothes (my dad allowed me to go in the end). Is a SGD $79.90 considered costly for a blazer? There are a lot more expensive ones. I've found the cheapest which suits me fine in terms of colour and material. As I dialled my dad to confirm buying that blazer, he's like "So expensive? You only will use it once or twice." And I can hear the "It's a waste of money" tone in his comment. Come on, the price is the cheapest. Everybody is fine with that price. Most people are buying more expensive ones without much consideration. Why? Coz' it's a once-in-a-lifetime event. There's not gonna be another secondary school graduation night. We are not very likely to meet up as often as we do with our friends and classmates now. It's for our best memories. We sure have to look our finest, don't we? And also, buying formal clothes obviously need more money. The price is considered reasonable, and I'm not asking for more. My parents really have to change their mindset. I'd bet they thought I'm a spoilt brat thinking that money is easily earned, not understanding their pain, and spending unnecessary. I didn't ask for much. I probably have one of the least luxuries among my classmates. I DO understand their efforts to earn money and I'm saving for them also. I CHOSE not to spend unnecessarily. But there are things that I have to spend a little more for. Like memories, like once-in-a-lifetime events. 


If you say "It's a waste of money. You are only wearing it for a few hours? One or two times? It's unnecessary."
I will rebut "If you are down with some illness and need, let's say, a liver transplant in order to continue living for maybe a few months? A year? Two if lucky? And I'll need to spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for the surgery just to see a old man or woman live for mere one or two years at most, how do you think I'd feel? Unnecessary, a definite waste of money IF I'm looking from the same viewpoint as you now. Maybe I'd just let you die?" 
But if I look at it a different way, like I'm saving a person who's dear to me. Letting him/her live for another one or two more years. Exchanging money for life. Now, is that worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment